MTNMAMA

MTNMAMA
The original MTNMAMA

Monday, June 18, 2012

Homemade Pizza on the Grill

Last week my son-in-law flew into Tulsa for a job interview. Let's hope he gets a job here and Miss Ella can live near Nana. It wouldn't be for a year though since he is just starting an Interventional Radiology Fellowship in Minneapolis, MN on July 1 which will last for 1 year. Anyway he loves my pizza on the grill so that's what we did when he was here.

Pizza on the Grill



I make my pizza dough in the "Bucket" method the same way I do many of my artisan breads. This book from Jeff Hertzberger and Zoe Francois is the basis for this pizza dough. From there I get creative....you'll see!!



Ingredients for Pizza Dough:

Unbleached All Purpose Flour

Salt

Yeast

Water

Recipe:
In large bucket mix:
3 1/2 cups warm (100-105 degrees) water
1 1/2 Tablespoons Yeast
1 - 1 1/2 Tablespoons Salt ( varies with your taste for saltiness)

Stir together Liquids until dissolved and then add
6 1/2 cups of Unbleached A-P Flour

Dough should be wet looking, sticky. If you have trouble incorporating the flour with a wooden spoon then wet your hands and complete the process.
Place the dough on the counter to rise for at least 2 hours so that it doubles in size.
Wala!!! 2 hours later we have doubled in size!! You can use the dough now or put it in the refrigerator and use for up to 10 days.

Pizza Making Day:

Remove a grapefruit size ball of dough from the bucket. Place on floured surface and begin to stretch the dough to shape your pizza.


Using your finger stretch the dough to desired size and thickness or thinness. You can use a rolling pin if you like....in Italy it is forbidden by law when making true pizza. It's true you can read it in the book!!
Place your pizza dough on a pizza peel that has been sprinkled with cornmeal to prevent sticking. Make sure it slides around on the peel. Heal the grill to SMOKIN Hot.
Here is how I do pizza on the grill:
I place the dough on directly on the grate of my gas grill. Watching it very carefully to get good grill marks

Once it has cooked on one side I remove it with the peel and flip it over so that I am putting the toppings on the cooked side.
Now build your pizza to your taste!
I grilled some lemon-rosemary chicken tenders to slice and put on our pizza.
The sky is the limit!! Be creative!! Use what is fresh and in season!! Try new things!

On this pizza I used :
Red sauce I made from crushed tomatoes, garlic, and basil
Fresh Mushrooms sliced
Chicken Tenders grilled and sliced
Grated Mozzerella and parmesean

Back to the grill!! This time I put the pizza on a preheated stone that I have on the other side of the grill.

Cook watching very closely on a very hot stone for several minutes until bubbly and the cheese is melted and oozy!!
Getting there!!


Done and delicious!!

Ham, chicken, red sauce, and Mozzarella cheese. Pizza you can really sink your teeth into....but remember it it HOT!!

Be creative and enjoy the process as much as you do eating the final product!!
This is great for a party. Let everyone make their own pizza and grill it with a little instruction from YOU!!
If you have any questions or comments please leave them below. I love hearing from you and learning all the ways you are creative with these recipes!!

Happy Trails,

Mtn Mama



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to let me know what you think!! I love hearing from you and making new friends!!