MTNMAMA

MTNMAMA
The original MTNMAMA

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Rainbows, Raindrops, and Racing for a Cure!!

 

Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure

Saturday was Tulsa's Race for the Cure.  It has been several years since I have participated in this race.  This year I was walking with my daughter, Jenny, and pushing Miss Ella in her chariot.  Rain was in the forecast but it didn't dampen the spirits of those who attended.  On the way downtown we saw a beautiful Rainbow which helped to remind us of God's promise and gives hope to those of us who have lost loved ones to this horrible disease called cancer.  I was talking with a friend while waiting for the race to start and he gave me a hug and said , "YOU are a survivor, too!!".  I have thought a lot about that since this morning and indeed I am a survivor.  Even though I have not had cancer I have survived the devastating loss of my spouse due to cancer so I think that pretty much qualifies me as a survivor of sorts too.  For the first year I did ....just survive.  Now starting year 2 without Jeffrey I am learning how to go from being a "we" to being "me" again.  It is never easy but with God's grace, guidance and everlasting arms to hold me when I fall I find that I am smiling more again,  laughing at life and my forgetfulness and looking forward to my second grandchild in the spring, not to mention having a ball with Miss Ella everyday.   So to all those who have had cancer or have survived a cancer loss I applaud your courage and strength and say....keep on fighting, living and in the famous words of Nemo....just keep on swimming!!  Race time found us in a downpour but we just kept on walking.  There wasn't anything at all dry on any of us as we crawled into the car at the end of the race.  We will surely remember this day for many years to come.


SUNDAY STASH REPORT - WEEK 39

TOTAL YARDS USED THIS WEEK:  0 YARDS

ADDED THIS WEEK:  0 YARDS

USED YEAR TO DATE: 79 3/4 YARDS

ADDED YEAR TO DATE: 28 3/4 YARDS

NET STASH DECREASE FOR 2013: 51  YARDS


Not much on the sewing front this week.  I cleaned my house from top to bottom and put out my fall decorations.  I also worked in my closet changing seasonal clothes and getting rid of many things that I haven't worn in a while.  I always feel so "good" after a seasonal cleaning freenzy!!  I did sew some on my Log Cabin Stars quilt.  This week I WILL finish it.  The auction is Oct 10th so it has to be done soon.


After the race we headed home in the pouring rain.  It continued for most of the day.  It was stormy and the temperatures were in the 60's behind the cold front that caused the weather changes.
 After a hot shower I made a nice pot of chili which seemed to fit the bill for the "First cool day of Autumn" here in T-Town.




Chili

1 pound ground turkey
1 medium onion, diced
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 can ( 14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1 TBSP Chili powder
3/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp salt 
1/4 tsp pepper
1 can (15 or 16 ounces) kidney beans, drained and rinsed

1.  Cook turkey, onion, and garlic in 3 quart saucepan over medium heat 8 - 10 minutes until beef is brown; drain.
2.  Stir in remaining ingredients except beans.  Heat to boiling, reduce heat.  Cover and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
3.  Stir in Beans. Heat to boiling, reduce heat.  Simmer uncovered about 10 minutes.  Stir occasionally, until desired thickness.
This chili just gets better every time you reheat it.  My mom always started fall with a big pot of chili on the first cool Saturday in October.  Each bite of this wonderful stew brings back such great memories of my "growing up" years.  It is defiantly a treasured recipe in my kitchen.  

Saturday afternoon consisted of football and of course I would be remiss if I didn't mention the WVU-OSU football game.  WOW!!!  WVU really pulled out an upset.  My daughter, Kristy, went to medical school at OSU but her daddy and I are WEST VIRGINIANS.....so I was proud of the Mountaineers and just hope they don't burn down Morgantown tonight in celebration!!  Have you every heard of the famous "Mountaineer Couch Burning Ritual?????"  Happens every time they have a BIG win.....like today!!

Happy Trails,

Mtn Mama

3 comments:

  1. Glad you got the Race for the Cure in before the rain yesterday. It really came down for quite a while.

    Congrats on getting your fall cleaning done. I warned My Guy that we are doing something with the garage next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get your garage cleaning started this weekend. It's suppose to rain again!! Thanks for stopping by!!

      Delete
  2. Your chili looks yummy. Perfect after a great day I am sure! Your quilt looks beautiful.
    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to let me know what you think!! I love hearing from you and making new friends!!