MTNMAMA

MTNMAMA
The original MTNMAMA

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Cinnamon Rolls

As promised I have step by step Cinnamon Rolls to share with you. Today in Minneapolis it was cloudy with cool breezes in the high 40's. Perfect weather to bake!! I will start by telling you that I am at least a third generation baker. My mother at 84 still makes great bread and rolls. The recipe that I have used for years was my grandmother's "Ice Box Rolls" recipe. That should tell  you how old the recipe is. The recipe is before electric refrigerators were in homes. It makes great clover rolls and cinnamon rolls. HOWEVER, for this group of young women I used the Pioneer Woman's Cinnamon Rolls recipe with my variations for several reasons.

1.There is no kneading this dough and it is perfectly soft, light and flaky.

2. This dough uses yeast and baking powder and baking soda so it gets extra spring in the oven and failing is virtually impossible.

3.  It makes 5 dozen cinnamon rolls.

I will list the recipe below as I show you the steps but you can go to www.pioneerwoman.com and get the complete recipe which can be downloaded and printed.

Now let's Bake:

Cinnamon Rolls

Ingredients:

1 quart whole milk

1 cup vegetable oil

1 cup sugar

2 pkgs yeast

8 cups (Plus 1 cup extra, seperated) All-purpose flour

1 teaspoon (heaping) Baking Powder

1 teaspoon (scant) Baking Soda

1 Tablespoon (heaping) salt

2 sticks butter softened

2 cups suguar

Generous sprinkling of cinnamon

Preparation Instructions



For the dough heat the milk, vegetable oil, and sugar in a medium sucepan over medium heat to just below a boil. Set aside and cool to warm.

Sprinkle yeast over the top and let it sit on the milk (warm not HOT) for 1 minutes.
I used fast rising yeast only because that is what Jenny had on hand. At home I would have used Instant Yeast from a large bag that I buy at Sam's. I would have measured 1 1/2 Tablespoons.

Measure 8 cups of flour.
Add the cooled milk mixture and stir until just combined.



Cover with a clean kitchen towel and set aside in a relatively warm place for 1 hour.

After 1 hour, remove the towel and add the baking powder, baking soda, and salt, and the remaining cup of flour.
Stir thoroughly to combine. Use the dough right away or place it in a mixing bowl greased with oil and cover with plastice wrap. Can be refrigerated up to 3 days. PUNCH DOUGH DOWN IF THE DOUGH RISES TO THE TOP OF THE BOWL.

Assembly:

To assemble the rolls, divide into manageable parts. Since I had 5 "Mom's" I divided the dough into 5th's.

On a floured baking surface roll the dough into a large rectangle. The dough should be about 1/4 inch thick.



Spread the softened butter over the rectangle leaving 1/2 inch border around the edges. Pix show all the different "Mom's" rolling dough and making the rolls.
Generoulsly sprinkle sugar and ground cinnamon over the butter. The more cinnamon the better as far as I am concerned.... after all they are name CINNAMON ROLLS!!
Now beginning at the end farthest from you, roll the rectangle tightly towards you. Use both hands and work slowly, being careful to keep it tight. When you reach the end, pinch the seam together and flip the roll so the the seam is face down. Now you have one long, buttery, cinnamony, sugary, gooey log.
Slip a cutting board beneath the roll and with a serrated knife make 1/2 inch slices. Grease the pan of your choice and place the sliced rolls in the pans, being careful not to overcrowd. DO NOT TOUCH THE ROLLS TOGETHER.

Cover the pans with a clean dish towel and let rise on countertop for at least 20 minutes before bakin
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Remove the towel and bake for 15 to 18 minutes, until golden brown. Don't allow the rolls to become overly brown.

Maple Frosting:

1 2 lb bag of powdered sugar

2 teaspoons of maple syrup

1/2 cup milk

1/4 cup butter

1/4 cup brewed coffee

1/4 tsp salt

Whisk together powdered sugar, milk, butter, coffee, and salt. Icing should be thick but pourable. Adjust by adding milk or coffe to taste and desired consistancy.

While rolls are baking.....playing with the babies is MANDATORY!!





What heavenly smells are whafting through the house??? Cinnamon, butter, baking bread!!! Yum!!

Out of the oven. Perfectly golden cinnamon rolls!

Pour icing liberally on warm rolls. The rolls will melt the heavenly goodness and spread out over the entire pan. As they sit, the rolls will absorb some of the icing's moisture and flavor. They only get better with time....not that they will last for more than a few minutes!!

What a productive day!! Cinnamon rolls for everyone to take home!

These rolls can be frozen after the first panning out before the countertop rising. Remove from the freezer, thaw, rise and bake then frost with icing!!! Perfect for any day!!
Hope you enjoy these cinnamon rolls as much as we do!!. All the mom's had a great afternoon and want me to come back before Christmas for more cooking lessons......maybe!!! You never know where life is going to find me these days!!.
Please leave me a comment if you enjoy the recipe and the blog....life is lonely now and I do enjoy hearing from all of you that read the blog It keeps me going!!

Happy Trails,

Mtn Mama

3 comments:

  1. Nana Smith! We had an amazing time today. Thank you for teaching me to make these delish rolls. Please come back to MN soon.

    Sahar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Thank you Thank you! We had such a good time today and it was a treat to have you join us! The rolls are the best I have ever tasted! Looking forward to the next time!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make all other moms feel inadequate! Wow - do you ever get tired?? I think we need a cooking lesson right here in our own neighborhood. I've always wanted to make great bread and have yet to have real success. As a matter of fact, I tore out a page of one of my favorite cookbooks because I had tried to make "feather rolls" several times that were chewy and hard and didn't want to be tempted to retry! I always enjoy your blog. MM

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to let me know what you think!! I love hearing from you and making new friends!!