MTNMAMA

MTNMAMA
The original MTNMAMA

Monday, October 8, 2012

A Tribute to my Dearest Jeffrey Don Smith

It is with a very heavy heart that I start out my return to blogging with an explanation for my absence. Almost two months ago my precious husband of 31+ years died after a long battle with Non-Hodgkins lymphoma and MDS. If you had been reading my blog since early spring you knew that he was spending more time in the hospital than out. His bone marrow transplant failed and he was transfusion dependent since late April. We tried another attempt at a "mini" transplant in July with cells frozen from his original donor but they did not engraft and thus on Aug 14 Jeffrey made the decision to come home on hospice. The Lord is full of mercy and Jeffrey died after only two days at home surrounded by "his girls". Jenny, Ella, Kristy and myself surrounded his bed as The Lord called him home. He made it obvious to us he was saying goodbye. Thank you Lord for that!! Now he no longer has to worry about PET scans, blood counts, transfusions or the constant pain that he had come to live with since June. My comfort comes in knowing that indeed he is in heaven, rejoicing and singing praises to our King. Still I am left with a huge whole in my life which I will have to learn to live with. I have two beautiful daughters, a son-in-law, and a granddaughter and many, many, good friends all of which all help me to get through each day. Below is the obituary as it read in Memory of my dear husband, Jeffrey.
 
 
A Celebration of Life

Aug 19, 2012 9:07 PM

Sunday Mornings Tulsa World Obituary:

Jeffrey Don Smith, Attending Radiologist with Diagnostic Imaging Associates, passed peacefully in his sleep Friday, August 17, 2012 at the age of 55 to his heavenly home. He was born in Nitro, West Virginia on February 7, 1957 to Tony and Geraldine Smith. He graduated from Marshall University in May of 1979 and West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine in 1983. He was called to serve in the U.S. Navy after completion of his internship until his discharge in 1987. He completed his residency at Botsford Hospital in MI followed by fellowship at the University of Arkansas 1992. He was an avid traveler, golfer and loved watching football. Jeffrey is survived by his loving wife of 31 years, Susan Burford Smith, daughter Jennifer Smith Kirkland and husband Jonathon Kirkland, daughter Kristina Lee Smith, and granddaughter Ella Lillian Kirkland. His life will be celebrated at Redeemer Covenant Church at 7pm Monday, August 20, 2012, a family visitation with follow the service. Donations may be made in memory of him to the Osteopathic Founders Foundation (918) 551-7300 and Caringbridge (www.caringbridge.org). An additional service to follow in Charleston, West Virginia on Friday August 31st. (Time to be announced)

Many of my friends have asked when I was going to return to blogging and my standard answer was, "I don't know....I guess when I feel I can". I flew to Minneapolis last week to spend time with Jenny, Jon and Ella. Jenny asked me to show her "Mom's group" how to make cinnamon rolls. I was excited to share my love of baking so I thought it would be fun to do. It is a great recipe to share on my blog. It gave my spirit a lift to think of teaching young moms such a wonderful skill as baking cinnamon rolls. I remembered back to when I was a young mom living in California and had to learn how to make bread dough without the help of my mom. A long time ago....but it brought back warm memories. There was a phrase I found shortly after Jeffrey's passing that has helped me so much.

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it Happened!!" When I think of those memories of early parenthood and "learning" all those homemaking skills I SMILE remembering. My college roommate even bought a magnet for my refrigerator with the saying printed in Bold letters so when I am really sad I can read it and SMILE not CRY!! Sometimes I do both!!

So tonight I made the dough and tomorrow we will roll it out, fill it, shape it and bake it. I will have lots of pictures and the complete directions so you too can fill the air in your home with the sweetest smells of cinnamon, butter and bread baking. I will be back tomorrow with the goods to prove it!!

Thanks to all of the many of you who have kept my family in your prayers for months. We have felt those prayers for strength and comfort. As I go through this valley I continue to seek the Lord's will in each and every day and in all that I do. Psalm 143:8 sums up my request.

Cause me to hear Thy lovingkindness in the morning; for in Thee do I Trust: cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift my soul unto Thee. Psalm 143:8

It is a new world for me, one that I did not plan, but The Lord doesn't make mistakes and he WILL show me the way through if I stay focused on HIM!!

Will be back tomorrow with Warm, delicious, ooey, gooey, Cinnamon Rolls!

Happy Trails,

Mtn Mama
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to let me know what you think!! I love hearing from you and making new friends!!