MTNMAMA

MTNMAMA
The original MTNMAMA

Sunday, May 5, 2013

Mother's Day Week

Mother's Day Week

For this week I am going to dedicate my blog to all  Mother's everywhere.  I will have food to share, quilts to show, and stories to tell.  The first story is about Mother's Day itself.   Do you know the origin of Mother's Day?  It began in the small town of Grafton, WV by Anna Jarvis who petitioned for the second Sunday in May to be a day to honor mother's.  I know this because I am a native West Virginian...thus the Mtn Mama.....and I used to take call at a small hospital in Grafton when I was a P.A. student in the 1970's.  The Mother's Day Chapel is still there with a large sign attesting to it's significance in the front lawn.  With that said I am going to bring you lots of great recipes this week for "Mother's Day" food.  Great salads, lunch buffets, breads and desserts.  I hope you will try them and use them to show your appreciation to your Mother as well on her special day.
We are going to pick up our Food for Friday here since I was sick last week.  I am the blogger so I have some privilege!!  HaHa!!


Food For Friday - Week 18  

Salad Buffet with Roasted Veggie Tray



I am going to show you how I roasted the beets but you will also use this same process for the asparagus, mushrooms and Brussel sprouts.



Cut the tops off the fresh beets.


I peel the beets now with a vegetable peeler.  Be careful because they will make all things red.  I use plastic gloves.


Cut into 1 inch size pieces.  Uniform so they will cook evenly.



Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons olive oil.


Toss to coat the beets.


Sprinkle with coarse sea salt.  Place in preheated oven at 425 degrees.  Set timer for 10 minutes.  Turn the beets with a spatula.  Cook for 10 minutes more or until soft.



These are perfectly roasted beets.  I like to sprinkle mine with feta cheese on the salad plate.  It adds color and texture and taste delicious.



This salad buffet starts with a big bowl of greens of your choice.  I love arugula so I always include that but you make your own "chef's mix" to your taste.



Then I build a platter with all the freshest ingredients I can find locally and in the market.  On this platter I have included:

1.  Baby Carrots
2.  Fresh Steamed green beans (still crunchy)
3.  Roasted Asparagus
4.  Roasted Beets with Feta Cheese
5.  Baby cherub tomatoes
6.  Blue Cheese crumbles
7.  Radishes
8.  Sliced English cucumbers
9.  Chopped Boiled Eggs
10. Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Parmesean
11. Balsamic Grilled and sliced chicken breast
12. Steamed Broccoli crowns
13. Roasted mushrooms



Buffet Style Luncheons are easy and they assure that everyone gets the "Salad" they love!!



For the luncheon I compiled the fresh veggies in color groups on a large white platter.  I served the salad buffet style so that each person could "Build their Own" custom salad.  I made a light Raspberry Vinaigrette  which you see in the pitcher on the counter.  
We also had a bread and a dessert tray.



There were pretzel rolls, banana bread which you can find here , and a multi-seed bread.


Fresh sliced strawberries, grapes, chocolate and angel food cake.


A pretty table always makes the food taste better!!

So start today thinking about how to "WOW" your mom on her special day with a meal from your heart to hers.  I hope this helps you start your menu planning.
Tomorrow will be another great luncheon menu!!  See you then!

Happy Trails....until we eat again!!

Mtn Mama

3 comments:

Please feel free to let me know what you think!! I love hearing from you and making new friends!!