Who says we only use cranberries from Sept till December? I love the tart, fresh taste of cranberries all year long. I sustain my love for these berries by buying mutiple bags and freezing them so I can use them all year long. The wonderful thing is you can use them frozen just as much as you can use them fresh.This coffee cake is easy because it starts with a cake mix. The cranberries takethis coffee cake to another level. I make it all year long. Many people "think" it has cherries in it!! No matter what they think....it is good stuff, especially on a snowy winter day with a hot cup of tea.
We have had snow in WV this week. See the deer tracks in the backyard? They are looking for something to eat too! Wonder if they are smelling the coffee cake in the oven?
Cranberry Coffee Cake
1 box yellow cake mix ( 18 1/4 ounce)
Eggs and vegetable shortening according to the cake mix directions
1 12 ounce package fresh or frozen cranberries
1 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons water.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9 x 13 cake pan with cooking spray.
2. Using a zester, scrape the orange peel to yield 1 tablespoon of orange zest set aside. Then squeeze the orange into a measuring cup. Set 2 tablespoons of the orange juice aside to use in the glaze. Use the rest combined with water to make the liquid needed for the cake mix.
3. Prepare the cake mix according to the directions on the box, using the fresh orange juice combined with enough water to equal the amount of water called for in the directions.
4. Add the orange zest and mix well.
5. Fold in half of the cranberries.
6. Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle remaining cranberries over the top evenly.
7. Combine the pecans, cinnamon, and brown sugar.
8. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the batter.
9. Bake for 35 - 40 minutes, or until a test inserted in the center of the cake come out clean.
10. Combine powdered sugar, 2 Tblsp orange juice and the water. Beat until smooth.
11. Drizzle this glaze over the top of the warm cake.
Now it's time to have a piece of this cake in front of the fire with that cup of hot tea and watch it snow!!