MTNMAMA

MTNMAMA
The original MTNMAMA

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Cabbage Beef Soup

Belated ......but Happy New Year 2014!

I had the best intentions to post last week but I got busy with "undecking" the halls and cleaning and football games of importance and.....well I just didn't get anything written. Miss Ella is helping me clean in this picture. As you can see Riley is very patient with her. She was playing "Peek a boo" with him or as she calls it.....(Where) r u Riley?? At least I was having fun while getting the house put back together from the holidays...right???!!!!

Last year I posted goals and tried very hard to motivate myself. It had only been 4 months since Jeff had died and I think I was trying way too hard to be "normal". I didn't complete very many of my goals on that list I am afraid. But I am moving forward into new adventures each day and that is a big step. This year I don't really have a long list but there are a couple of things I am going to try to do in 2014:

1. Read through the bible in a year. I bought The One Year Bible after Thanksgiving with this in mind. Each day there is an OT reading, a NT reading, and Psalms and Proverbs. Should be very doable!!

2. Finish one UFO a month. (UFO= Quilting/Sewing Project that has been started and is laying somewhere in an unfinished state) Doable? I think so. I went through the drawers in my sewing room tonight and found more UFO's than I remembered. Not Good!! I am relaly going to try to clear most of them out this year starting with my precious Dresden Plates after I finish the top I am working on now.

3. Start walking again. I have been really bad since Jeff died about exercising. I want to walk at least 3 -5 days a week. I have a treadmill that I like so I can get started now during the winter.

That's about it for this year. I am planning on seeing the good in everyday and making 2014 the best year in a long time.

On to our cooking project for the day.....it is a favority soup of mine. I am really enjoying the cold weather we have had this winter. So often in Tulsa our winter is really mild but this year our temps have been very cold. Cold weather equals soup. We are in the middle of a cold snap as is most of the country I think. Highs tomorrow in the teens and lows around 2 degrees. That is cold!! I made this soup over the weekend and it really hits the spot on these extreme cold days. It is a crock pot recipe which makes it easy and very delicious.


 

Cabbage Beef Soup-

This soup will bring good luck and money to you in the new year. At least I grew up in WV where eating cabbage on New Year's was a tradition. So eat it in this soup this week and see if it works!!


 

Ingredients:

2 tbsp vegetable oil

1 pound ground turkey or beef ( I used lean turkey)

1/2 large onion, chopped

5 cups cabbage chopped

2 (16 ounce) cans red kidney beans, rinsed and drained

2 cups water

24 ounces tomato sauce

4 beef bouilion cubes

1 1/2 tsp gound cumin

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper


Directions:

1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat.

2.. Chop onion. Add the onion and meat to the pan.


3. Cook until the meat is well browned and crumbled and onions translucent.

4. Rinse and drain kidney beans.

5. Add meat and beans to the slow cooker.


6. Open tomato sauce and pour over the bean/meat mixture. Addd Water, beef bouilion, cumin, salt and pepper.

7. Stir the mixture together.


8. Chop the cabbage.


 

9. Add cabbage to the mixture in the slow cooker.


10. Cover and cook on high 4 hours or on low setting for 6-8 hours. Stir occasionally.

This soup is hearty and really good on a cold winter's day. Serve with crackers or cornbread. It is a meal in itself. You don't even need a salad because you have the cabbage (greens) in the soup. I love cabbage so this is one of my favorites. Enjoy!

Happy Trials,

Mtn Mama

 

4 comments:

  1. Happy New Year to you as well and these goals sound like something you can master.

    I wondered about your dresden blocks, my nemesis similar to these for you were my sunbonnet babies and last month I got rid of them and everything they represented to me. It was the most freeing thing I have done in ages and I tread lightly regarding new projects.

    Love seeing how well you are doing and your progress so keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found freedom. Have been busy quilting.....feels good. I am moving forward faster this year....still miss Him everyday but able to move on in small ways. Quilting helps.....it is good for my soul.
      MM

      Delete
  2. Thanks SO much for linking up to our Best Of The Weekend party last week! This is featured tonight in a delicious soup round up. Have a great weekend!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have been so busy that I missed your comment last week. Thanks for including me in the round up. Love soup and this is a great one for busy days and cold nights.
      MM

      Delete

Please feel free to let me know what you think!! I love hearing from you and making new friends!!