MTNMAMA

MTNMAMA
The original MTNMAMA

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Snowy Day

Snow, Soup and Scraps


Did you know January is National Soup month? Well, I didn't until I read it today. I am visiting my parents in WV and today we had about 6 inches of snow. It is beautiful. You see...I love snow. I am so happy to be here during this storm.


This picture was taken through my bedroom window. I love the woods at the edge of my parents property. This is the same bedroom I grew up in from the time I was 7 until I left for college. There is something very comforting about coming home. I get to be a child again. I am blessed to have both my parents living and in good health. Thank you Lord for family.

We spent the day inside. I got to visit with a friend I hadn't seen in years. We went to high school together and she lives near my parents so she was able to come over before the weather got too bad. It was great seeing her and catching up. I am blessed with many good friends and people in my life. Thank you Lord for friends.

Since it's National Soup Month we made soup today for supper!!

 

Taco Soup



Ingredients:

1 lb ground beef

1 can black beans

1 can kidney beans

28 ounce can crushed tomatoes

1 can corn

1 can RoTel (tomatoes with chilies)

1 pkg Taco Seasoning Mix

1 pkg Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix (dry)

1 quart water

Tortilla chips, grated cheese ( you favorite blend) and sour cream for toppings


Directions:

1. Brown ground beef in large pot.


2. Drain the fat from the meat and return to the pot.

3. Add the remaining ingredients...yes everything including 1 quart of water to the pot and stir together.


4. You can turn the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes on the stove in the soup pot and it will be ready to eat or you can put it into a crockpot on low for 2 -3 hours and it will be ready to eat when you are. Either way it is a quick and easy meal.

 

5. When serving garnish with your favorite Tortilla chips, cheese and sour cream.



My sweet mother had bread dough in the refrigerator and panned out cinnamon rolls this morning. I helped her bake and finish them while I was making the soup.


Nothing better than cinnamon rolls on a snow day!! Goodness gracious that's good eats!!

I spent the rest of the day piecing together a baby girl quilt. My best friend from grade school had her second grandchild in October and I am a bit behind with this one but today was a great day to design, sew and complete the top of the quilt. I like it....the colors are light pink, hot pink, turquoise, and a print with all the colors in it. Mother had made a quilt from these fabric and I used her scraps.



Think it turned out well....What do you think?

It was another great day among the hills of West Virgina, family and friends.

Happy Trials,

Mtn Mama

 

2 comments:

  1. Snow, view of woods, taco soup, childhood bedroom, cinnamon rolls, friends, parents, and quilt-work...what a wonderful set of blessings :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a blessed way to spend your day. The quilt is perfect too, enjoy your visit. Jane

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to let me know what you think!! I love hearing from you and making new friends!!