MTNMAMA

MTNMAMA
The original MTNMAMA

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Carolina Chicken BBQ Sandwiches




 Enjoying Tuesday at the Lake....Part 2!!!

Today was filled with sunshine and beautiful breezes here at the lake.  I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to get my pictures to transfer from this computer to the blog.  My daughter arrived mid afternoon and helped me.  I discovered the Picasa connection and transfered all the pictures to it and from there I am pulling the recipe pictures I need for today's Carolina Chicken.  Sounds a lot  easier than it actually was.  We also spent time  trying to make the comment section easier so you can talk back to me.  Please tell me what you like, what recipes you tried and what worked for you.  Also tell me what you had trouble with and what you would like to see more in the way of recipes and quilting.  I would love for this blog to be interactive.  That way I can learn from you too!!!

As I promised tonight I will share my Carolina Chicken BBQ sandwiches with you.  I love this recipe because it has the "tangy" vinegar/mustard BBQ sauce that I grew up with in West Virginia.  I have adapted this recipe to the Crockpot.  If you haven't noticed I LOVE the crockpot and use it whenever I can.  That way I can sew and quilt while dinner is cooking!!  Win/Win for everybody in my house!!



Carolina Chicken Barbeque Sandwiches

 Sorry but the first picture with my new camera isn't great.  Kinda left off the left side.
I promise to get better.!!!  Practice, Practice, Practice!!  I will just have to do more recipes.


Shopping List:

2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs  ( I use a lot of these and find them in the freezer section of the grocery.  Tyson makes a 3 pound bag.  You can use breasts but be careful about cooking times and allow more liquid because breasts can get dried out easily.)

BBQ Spice Rub -  I used the one we made last week while making BBQ shrimp.  If you want to use another rub you have on hand feel free to do so.

Sauce ingredients:

1 TBSP vegetable oil
1 small onion, diced
2/3 cup vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 TBSP  spicy brown mustard
6 sandwich buns


NOW WE COOK!!!!   

Please note I have doubled the recipe so you will see 4 pounds of chicken thighs not 2 as the recipe states.
Sprinkle the chicken thighs amply with the BBQ Spice rub.  Massage the rub into the meat.
I doubled the recipe (again) because I was having our small group of 10 adults from Church to the lake for dinner so I wanted to have enough for leftovers this week.

Take the thighs and put in the crockpot.  Pour about 1 cup of water into the bottom of the vessel.
Set the crockpot on high and cook for 3 1/2 to 4 hours or l0w 4 1/2 to 5 hours.

Cover and cook for the specified times above.
Meanwhile we will make the sauce.
1.  Heat the vegetable oil.
2.  Dice the onion.
3. Saute till translucent....about 5 minutes.
4. Stir in vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar and mustard.






5.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and continue cooking for 5 minutes.  Stir occasionally during that time.  Sauce has a wonderful vinegar smell which I love.

.
 6. Turn heat off and cover.  Keep in this container until chicken is done.
 7. When chicken thighs are done pour off cooking liquid and save it.
8.  Return chicken to the crockpot and shred with two forks.

 9.  Shred until it meets your desired consistency.

9. Pour sauce over chicken until completely soaked into all the meat.  If more liquid is needed use the reserved cooking liquid.
Doesn't that look mouthwatering???  It smells even better.  Keep warm in crockpot on low until served.

Serve on any type of sandwich roll or bun.   Refrigerate leftovers.  It tastes even better the next day.  Now where I come from....West Virginia.....we would put a great big spoonful of cole slaw right on top of the BBQ top with the bun and eat it all together!!!  YUM! YUM!
How do you like your BBQ?  If you have never tried a "Vinegar Que"  I would encourage you to try this.  You will be glad you did!!
Remember to comment below and let me know what you think!!
Tomorrow I promise pictures from the lake....now that I have the "picture" thing and my new camera figured out!
Till then....Happy Trails,

Mtn Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to let me know what you think!! I love hearing from you and making new friends!!