MTNMAMA

MTNMAMA
The original MTNMAMA

Friday, April 13, 2012

Easy and Good for you Granola

This is the Day the Lord Has Made, Rejoice and be glad in it!!                     Psalm 118:24

What a beautiful sight outside my bathroom window.  This rose bush grows on the East side of the house and gets just the right amount of sunshine!  It is glorious this year and full of buds.  Thank you Lord for giving me such delight in your creations, you are amazing!!

This morning while deciding what to eat for breakfast I realized I would probably eat more of the yogurt in my fridge if I made my super-duper quick, easy and good for you granola to sprinkle on the top of it.  So guess what we are making today????

Super-Duper Easy and Good for You Granola 

I really like this recipe because:
1.  It is fast to make and easy - 30 minutes start to finish!!
2.  It doesn't have oil or any fat in it like other granola recipes I have made.
3.  No coconut like most granolas
4.  Uses agave syrup for sweetner which is a more stable source of sweetning and doesn't spike your blood
     sugar as dramatically.
5.  It has lots of super food components in it like oats, almonds and cinamon
6.  You can add your favorite ingredients to personalize it.
7.   It tastes GREAT but WARNING, WARNING, WARNING.......It is addictive.
      Somehow I can't keep my hand out of the jar!!

Let's get started:

Shopping List:

Old Fashion Rolled Oats ( 1 1/2 cups)
Slivered Almonds (1 cup)
Sunflower Seeds (1/2 cup)
Toasted Wheat Germ (1/2 cup)
Ground Cinnamon (1/2 teaspoon)
Agave Nectar (Light is what I used but you can use Dark if you prefer a deeper flavor) (1/2 cup)
Kosher Salt (pinch to 1/8 tsp)
Dried Cranberries ( 1/2-1 cup)

 Let's make Granola:

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
In a medium mixing bowl combine oats, almonds, sunflower seeds, toasted wheat germ ground cinnamon and kosher salt.
Mix together with wooden spoon until it is homogenous.  That means altogether!!
Measure agave the same way we did the honey in Wednesday's banana bread.  Spray the measuring cup with cooking spray and then measure the agave.  That way it will slide right out into the mixture without sticking to the sides of the cup.

 Stir this mixture until it is completely coated with the agave.  It will clump a little so stir it well.
Now get out a half sheet pan and line with parchment paper or I use my silpat mats for this.  They work great.  No sticking and no mess at the end.
Now pour the mixture onto the baking sheet.  Spread it out with the wooden spoon until it is one even layer in the pan.  Put into 300 degree oven.  Bake for 10 minutes then open oven and use wooden spoon to rearrange mixture so that it will bake evenly.  Put back in oven and bake 10 more minutes until golden brown in color.  If using dark agave it will be darker because of it.  Total baking time 20 minutes.

Golden Brown Granola fresh from the oven.  Don't touch it now.....sorry, but it is very hot!  Let cool 15 minutes in pan.

Then you can add your favorite dried fruits ....the sky is the limit!!!  What do you like?
I like dried cranberries so I add about half of a 12 ounce bag to the pan and mix with clean hands (after cooled)!!


Doesn't that look like a pan full of yummy goodness.....and good for you too!!
I store mine in a plastic container with a locked lid so I can't get to it toooo easily or I would eat the whole thing in one sitting.  Yes, I did it again I doubled the batch.  I made to pans this morning so what you see in the container above is actually a double amount.  It doubles very easily.  When stored in an airtight container it will last for a week or so.....mine never does.!!!  Keep it sealed to keep it crunchy!!  We eat it right out of the container, on yogurt, on ice cream, in salads......What are you going to eat your granola on?
Comment below and give us all new creative ideas on how to consume this wonderful, healthy treat!!

Doesn't lunch look delish???  My daughter got this ready while I was blogging.  Today her youth minister from when she was in High School is stopping by to see Baby Ella and her mama.  I just love having her here.  The salad looks amazing!!  Note the bread on the table from the loaf I saved from yesterday!  Don't you just love the Sheep in the picture on the right?  I keep it on my kitchen table to remind me who I belong to....I belong to the  Good Shepherd!!!

I am the Good Shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.  John 10:11

Oh and by the way even though it is Friday the 13th good things happened 84 years ago on a Friday the 13th in April....my mother was born.  So Happy Birthday Grammy!!!  We love you....many, many more to come.  You taught me all I know about faith, cooking and how to live a life without reproach.  I fail sometimes but you were a great example and I LOVE YOU!!   Happy 84th Birthday to the original Miss Ella whom we now call the "Big Miss Ella"!!
 Happy Trails,

Mtn Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to let me know what you think!! I love hearing from you and making new friends!!