MTNMAMA

MTNMAMA
The original MTNMAMA

Monday, April 16, 2012

Holy Toledo Quilt Blocks and Pico de Gallo

Monday, Monday!!!

Today my sweet little angel has to go back to Chicago with her mama.  I think Daddy is missing them greatly.  It will break my heart to put her on the plane but she will be back in two weeks.  I can make it...I think I can, I think I can, I THINK I CAN!

Jenny has them all packed up....Did we have that much stuff with our kids????  Probably I just don't remember!!
Today is a BEAUTIFUL Sunny Day here in T-Town.  We got storms yesterday but the really wild weather missed us.  Thank you Lord!  Ella, Jenny and I took a nice hour long walk.  I am able to walk without much pain but have to wear really cushy shoes.  The bridge of my foot and toe are very swollen.  Dr. says may be 3-4 months before the swelling goes down.  GREAT....I hope I can wear shoes to Kristy's graduation in mid May!

I have been working upstairs in the sewing room for about an hour while Ella sleeps.  Jeff is still working from home.  He is busy downstairs in the office so I try to get out of his way.  I am working on Bonnie Hunter's  quilt, "Holy Toledo".  Jenny was born in Toledo.  We lived there in 1983-84 while Jeff was an intern at Parkview Hospital.  Working on this quilt reminds me of her when she was Ella's age.  Good Stuff!!

This is my first project out of one of Bonnie's book.  I just recently found her on the web.....I know where have I been all these years but to tell you the truth prior to Jeff having this Bone Marrow Transplant I didn't spent much time "surfin the web".  In the past few months I have had a lot of "time on my hands" while sitting at bedsides, going to clinic and doctor appointments,.etc.  Anyway I LOVE her work, her attitude toward the environment and her "sparkle".  She says she has a sense of humor but I say it is unique to her ....The Sparkle God gave her to be who she is!!!   I have been to the Goodwill and got 8 shirts which I have deboned.  I organized my scraps into strips, bricks and blocks.  I am ready to sew!!
Here is my new "potable design wall" that I got at the Dallas Quilt Show.  I planned one of Jeff's clinic visit's at Baylor to be on the Friday of the Quilt Show.  He went with me after clinic.  He had even had a bone marrow biopsy that day.  What a TROOPER!!  It was his first quilt show.  I love the design wall because it is portable and has a small handy dandy carrying case.  This way I can take it with me when I sew at the lake or with my friends.  As you can see I sewed the top three blocks together....I am like that....I can't wait to see what the pattern is going to look like.  I just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!!   More to come...soon I hope!!  I never seem to get to sew as much as I would like to...but then isn't that every quilters dilema??


Fiesta

Chicken

Fiesta!!!!

Yesterday we had friends over to meet Ella.  We had our own Fiesta using the Fiesta Chicken I had made on Saturday!!!  The white casserole is full of chicken goodness.  I made some delicious toppings to add to the buffet.  Let's show you what I made:

Pico de Gallo

Shopping List:

2-3 medium ripe tomatoes
1 large red onion
1/2 bunch cilantro
1/2 tsp salt
1 jalapeno or small red peppers
1 lime




Simple fresh ingredients.  Tomatoes, Red onion, cilantro, lime and salt.

You can see that I dice my ingredients to medium dice.  I like chunky pico!!
Add the tomatoes, cilantro, and onion to a bowl.  Toss to mix.  If you like jalapeno carefully dice the amount you like and add it to the mix.  I did not have any jalapeno but had some small red peppers which I diced and added.  It gave a nice crunch.

 Now cut your lime in half and squeeze the lime juice over the bowl with the tomato, cilantro, onion and pepper mixture.  I have this lime juicer so I used it.  It's just so cute!!    Now sprinkle 1/2 tsp salt over the mixture below and toss gently till combined.

Isn't that beauty to behold but I tell you it tastes even better!!  Just use it within a day.....maybe two.  Pico de Gallo doesn't last very long....not a problem at my house!!  Store in fridge in air tight container IF you have any leftover.
Years ago I bought this Longaberger Basket with these cute little inserts.  I have used them for my "Mexican Bar" for years.  I put out both hard shell tacos and whole wheat tortilla wraps to cradle our chicken and we can build up from there!!

 I put the "Fixin's" in each divided insert such as sliced green onions, sour cream or creama, shredded Monterey Jack Cheese, Pico de Gallo and Shredded Cheddar cheese.  You can put out what you like!!!  I had Guacamole in another BIGGER bowl....we like Guac too.

Enjoy Your Fiesta Chicken however you like it......share pictures back here with us so we can show the world How you Eat Your Fiesta Chicken!!
Off to the airport and then I have to teach a Pediatric Advanced Lifesupport Class to a large group of Physician's tonight.  Glad I ate Fiesta chicken on my salad for lunch!!

Happy Trails,

Mtn Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to let me know what you think!! I love hearing from you and making new friends!!