MTNMAMA

MTNMAMA
The original MTNMAMA

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Tulsa has Snow!!



Backdoor view
 A Snowy February Day!!! 

I love snow.....at least a few times each year.  Some years we get snow in Tulsa and some years we don't.  We didn't get any last year which makes today so special for me!!  It snowed most of the day but the ground was warm and the temp about 34 so we have a couple of inches on the ground.  It is actually raining now and may turn to freezing rain later tonight.  That is what we usually get....freezing rain and ice.  We are so thirsty for any moisture that no one is complaining....even my friends who don't like snow are being kind because we need the water.
A friend who is less than thrilled with snow sent me a text early this morning.....
This the day the Lord has made for Mtn Mama!!!  Feb 20, 2013...let us rejoice and be glad in it for her!!

Thank you Lord for the snow and the much needed rain!!  The world is cleansed in a blanket of whiteness and we feel the beauty of this "clean earth" as you intended it to be.  Thank you for today!!  AMEN

Jenny has been "crafting in my garage for the past two nights after Ella has gone to bed.  I must say I love her projects.  First she took all my old vases....nothing special just from the florist....and spray painted them white (milk glass effect) and this beautiful aqua blue.  She is going to use them in a display in her new home.   


Next she took several glass candlesticks and glued them to various bowls and plates to make "pedestal" pieces.


 I love the way this looks.  So many uses!!  We bought the candle sticks in an antique mall for $3.50 and the plate for $1.00.  Pretty snazzy result for less than 5 bucks.


 We used this glue from WalMart that cost less than $5.00.  It is waterproof.  You can put these in dishwater or the dishwasher to clean them.

Two more creations using dollar store candlesticks and bowls.  I love the "crystal" one on the right!!  I can just imagine it full of berries or granola on a breakfast table.



 We just can't stop making this stuff.  

 Pretty good for less than $10.00 investment.  Of course we did "find" all the vases in the garage.  I love doing this kind of stuff with my daughters.  

We also did some baking.  This is a recipe I found on the web and tried this evening.  Just seemed like I should be baking bread on a snow day. 


Amish Country Bread

Ingredients:
4 Tbsps. sugar
2 Tbsps. butter (melted)
1 Tbsp salt
1 1/2 cups Warm water
1 1/2 Tbsp Instant Yeast or 2 pkg yeast
5 cups of Flour

Directions:



 Gather your ingredients including your mixer.  I used my Kitchen Aid with the dough hook.

 


Place sugar, melted butter, salt, yeast and warm water in the bowl of your mixer. 


 


Allow to sit for 10 minutes until the yeast has started to react and the mixture appears frothy.

 


Add the flour to the yeast mixture with the dough hook attached in small batches.

  
 Allow the dough to mix for 8-10 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.

 


Remove from mixer and place the dough in a greased bowl.





Cover with wax paper and put in a warm place, free from drafts.
Let the dough rise until doubled in size, about 45 minutes to an hour.

Punch dough down.  Divide in half.  Make two rounds.  Place them on parchment paper on a cookie sheet.  Cut decorative slits in the top.  Let dough rise again, about 30 minutes.

  
Brush the risen dough with an egg white wash.  This consists of 1 egg white and 2 tsps of water beaten together.  Sprinkle the dough with sea salt and dried rosemary.


 Bake in a 400 degree oven for 25 minutes until golden brown.


 YUM!!!  I will be taking a loaf tomorrow when we go to visit a friend for lunch.


It took a lot of will-power to put both loaves in bags and save them for tomorrow.  There is nothing better than bread hot out of the oven unless it is bread the next day shared with friends!!

Amish Country Bread

Ingredients:
4 Tbsps. sugar
2 Tbsps. butter (melted)
1 Tbsp salt
1 1/2 cups Warm water
1 1/2 Tbsp Instant Yeast or 2 pkg yeast
5 cups of Flour

Directions:
 Gather your ingredients including your mixer.  I used my Kitchen Aid with the dough hook.
Place sugar, melted butter, salt, yeast and warm water in the bowl of your mixer.
Allow to sit for 10 minutes until the yeast has started to react and the mixture appears frothy.
Add the flour to the yeast mixture with the dough hook attached in small batches.
Allow the dough to mix for 8-10 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
Remove from mixer and place the dough in a greased bowl.
Cover with wax paper and put in a warm place, free from drafts.
Let the dough rise until doubled in size, about 45 minutes to an hour.
Punch dough down.  Divide in half.  Make two rounds.  Place them on parchment paper on a cookie sheet.  Cut decorative slits in the top.  Let dough rise again, about 30 minutes. 
Brush the risen dough with an egg white wash.  This consists of 1 egg white and 2 tsps of water beaten together.  Sprinkle the dough with sea salt and dried rosemary.
 Bake in a 400 degree oven for 25 minutes until golden brown.


 Jenny, Miss Ella, and I say Good-night.  I love the snowman on her fleece PJ's.  So appropriate for today!!

Happy Trails,

Mtn Mama 

3 comments:

  1. I have a box of clear glass candlesticks! A college friend was using all sizes and styles on the tables for her son's wedding last summer, so I went to all the Good Will and thrift stores. I could find them for as little as .50. She told me not to spend more than $3. There was quite a few to purchase! I was able to gather 2 boxes full for the wedding! Come on over and I will share!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Norma,
      I would love to share your candlesticks!! I have to decorate for the Internal Medicine Resident Graduation in May. I may see if I can borrow a box of those candlesticks for the cost of postage. Got the shirt....Thanks!!! I love it. Going to tear it apart soon and start another scrap quilt!! Love and miss you!!
      Mtn Mama

      Delete
  2. Oh I love the vases I have been wanting to do that. And the pedestal plate too.
    Such a crafty girl.
    I really want to try the bread recipe. Thanks for sharing it.
    I am glad you are having a wonderful visit. Thanks for sharing it with us.
    Have a beautiful Friday,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to let me know what you think!! I love hearing from you and making new friends!!