MTNMAMA

MTNMAMA
The original MTNMAMA

Friday, February 15, 2013

Food for Friday - Week 7


So sorry I am getting this posted late today but I have had a busy week and an even busier morning.  My girls are all home - two daughters and a granddaughter- and we have been going non-stop.  This morning was the Tulsa kickoff for the Go Red For Women American Heart Campaign.  I started my day with a breakfast supporting the Go Red Cause and then onto another brunch with my daughters and our good friend and former youth pastor Denise.  Down to Utica Square to pickup a dress for the Foundation Winterset Fundraiser next Sat and then some antique shopping with my daughter on the way back home.
 WHEWW!!!  I am usually not so busy in such a short time period.  Now for the recipe of the week.

Food for Friday - Week 7





  This week I am featuring a recipe that is in "My Collection" album of recipes.  These are recipes that I clip out of papers and magazines, calendars (this one was in a cooking calendar about 8 years ago) and those given to me by my dear friends.  This book is cherished and guarded in my kitchen.









Wild Rice and Nut Soup
I always add chicken or turkey (whatever I have) to this soup so I will include it here also.

Ingredients:

1 box of Uncle Ben's wild rice mix (it will make two batches of soup....I use 1/2 and freeze the rest for later)
2 Tbsp shallots, minced
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
1/4 c unbleached flour
4 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup carrots, grated
1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
1 cup half and half
2 Tbsp dry sherrry
1 cup chopped or shredded chicken
1/4 cup chopped parsley


Method of Cooking:
 





 Gather your ingredients together.






 Mix the Wild Rice with the water as per instructions on the side of the box.  I make mine in a corning-ware covered casserole according to the microwave instructions. 
Cook the rice either on the stove top or the microwave now.










Mince the shallots.  Melt butter in a dutch oven and saute shallots slowly till soft.  About 5 minutes.







Do not brown the shallots.  Cook until translucent.







 Toast the almonds in a little butter; drain on paper towels.  Set aside.












 Slice the mushrooms. Add mushrooms to the shallots and butter in the bottom of the dutch oven.





Stir in 1/4 cup of flour









Stir flour until it bonds with the fat in the pan.  Cook for 2-3 minutes so that you don't have a raw flour taste in the soup.







Add two cans or 4 cups of Chicken broth to the dutch oven mixture.
Stir until slightly thickened.






Prepare:





Peel and grate two large carrots













When rice is cooked divide in half.  Use half for the soup now.  I freeze half for my next batch of soup or you can use it in something else.  You choose!!






 Prepare your cooked chicken by shredding or dicing.  Which ever you prefer.
Add rice, almonds, chicken and carrots to soup in the dutch oven.  Simmer 10 minutes.  Do not boil













Add the half and half (I use fat free and it works fine), and the sherry.  Heat through ( don't boil)








Chop the parsley and add to the soup when finished.  You may save a little for garnish if desired.

 This is the finished product.  I love this soup.  It is hearty with a little sweetness from the carrot, crunch from the almonds, chewiness from the rice. The broth is so good with the hint of sherry.   It is my favorite soup in the cool months of winter.




Wild Rice and Nut Soup
I always add chicken or turkey (whatever I have) to this soup so I will include it here also.

Ingredients:

1 box of Uncle Ben's wild rice mix (it will make two batches of soup....I use 1/2 and freeze the rest for later)
2 Tbsp shallots, minced
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
1/4 c unbleached flour
4 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup carrots, grated
1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
1 cup half and half
2 Tbsp dry sherrry
1 cup chopped or shredded chicken
1/4 cup chopped parsley


Method of Cooking:

 Mix the Wild Rice with the water as per instructions on the side of the box.  I make mine in a corning-ware covered casserole according to the microwave instructions. 
Cook the rice either on the stove top or the microwave now
 Mince the shallots.  Melt butter in a dutch oven and saute shallots slowly till soft.  About 5 minutes.
 Toast the almonds in a little butter; drain on paper towels.  Set aside.
 Slice the mushrooms. Add mushrooms to the shallots and butter in the bottom of the dutch oven.
 Stir in 1/4 cup of flour
 Stir flour until it bonds with the fat in the pan.  Cook for 2-3 minutes so that you don't have a raw flour taste in the soup.
 Add two cans or 4 cups of Chicken broth to the dutch oven mixture.
Stir until slightly thickened. Peel and grate two large carrots
When rice is cooked divide in half.  Use half for the soup now.  I freeze half for my next batch of soup or you can use it in something else.  You choose!!
Prepare your cooked chicken by shredding or dicing.  Which ever you prefer.
 Add rice, almonds, chicken and carrots to soup in the dutch oven.  Simmer 10 minutes.
 Add the half and half (I use fat free and it works fine), and the sherry.  Heat through ( Do Not Boil)
Chop the parsley and add to the soup when finished.  You may save a little for garnish if desired.

Bon Appetite!!

I really hope you will try this soup.  You won't be disappointed. 
Let me know if you like it!!  I really do enjoy hearing from you.  Drop me a comment!!

Happy Trails,

Mtn Mama 

3 comments:

  1. This looks really, really good. Can't wait to try it, maybe next week after I shop for groceries. Need rice and mushrooms.

    Sounds like you are having fun with the family, enjoy, you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This soup sounds so delicious, and I love the addition of the almonds! Looks like a wonderfully comforting meal! YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Thanks so much for sharing this on The Creative HomeAcre Hop! Hope to see you tomorrow on the next hop!
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/02/the-creative-homeacre-hop-4.html

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to let me know what you think!! I love hearing from you and making new friends!!